Foster Grandparent Program
The Volunteers of America Foster Grandparent Program helps develop intergenerational bonds by bringing together youth and older adults. Programs are available in Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Denver, Jefferson, El Paso, and Larimer Counties.
Foster Grandparents are 55 or older, live on fixed incomes (income under $22,980 for a single person household or under $31,020 for a couple) and enjoy working with children.
Foster Grandparents work in Early Childhood Education (Preschools, Head Starts, Educational Childcare) and public schools.The Foster Grandparent Program focuses on literacy (pre-reading and reading skills) and numeracy (pre-math and math skills) for children from 6 weeks to 12 years old. In return for serving 15 - 40 hours per week Foster Grandparents receive the following benefits:
- A non-taxable monthly stipend which does not affect OAP (Old Age Pension), Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security, SNAP (food stamps) or subsidized housing
- Paid time off, holidays and training
- Transportation reimbursement
- Supplemental volunteer insurance
- Recognitions and special events
If you, or an older adult you know, loves children, is committed to helping them succeed and would like to get involved with the Foster Grandparent Program please contact:
Denver Metro/Larimer County Foster Grandparent Program Naomi Taggart
El Paso County Foster Grandparent Program Kathy Bell